Now that we have established my love for fluffy diaper butts, lets talk laundry. Honestly, the laundry element of this whole process is just not a big deal. I kind of enjoy it. Weird I know. I accept my own particular brand of baby induced crazy. Just go with me.
- Every night I take my "wet bag" full of cloth diapers out of my Ubbi Diaper pail and throw the whole thing, bag and all into the washer. I add a scoop of OxiClean and set my washer to "rinse and spin", no spin, and push start.
- This step is the hardest: I have to remember to go pause my washer within 7 minutes of starting. This keeps the basin of my front loading washer full of water so the diapers can soak in the OxiClean overnight. If I forgot to start the diaper laundry at night, which happens, I try and let them soak 20-30 minutes.
- In the morning I finish the rinse and spin cycle. When it is finished, the diapers LOOK clean. Their is no poop and no weird smell, but they aren't actually clean yet.
- I add a scoop of Rockin' Green Detergent and a wee bit of vinegar and set the washer to sanitary with the following options: prewash (for the vinegar), extra hot wash, cold rinse, and then extra rinse (x3). I don't know if all three extra rinses are necessary, but my machine lets me do three additional rinses as one setting so I go with it. The extra rinses are actually very important because bubbles mean the diapers still have detergent residue which will limit the absorbency. So yeah, I rinse three times.
- I throw them all in the dryer to dry. Or hang them to dry. Depends how I'm feeling. The best bottoms say to dry the inserts and not shells so I try to do that every day.
- As needed I strip the diapers with RLR or Rockin' Green Funk Rock. The RLR helps bring back the absorbency and I did to all of my preloaded diapers before I used them. I intend to do it every month or so to keep my diapers fresh. The Funk Rock is an add needed soak to fight the ammonia smell that can sometimes develop. I haven't had any ammonia issues yet, but I have my bag of Funk Rock and I'm ready to "rock a soak" when the time comes.
Seriously, so easy. And I have to do baby laundry every day anyway to keep up with burp cloths and blankets and my shirts they spit up on and their clothes and pajamas and sleep sacks. This diaper load first thing in the morning is easy!